Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Just in time

Back from a couple weeks in China for work. I'd show you pictures, but I bought cheapo batteries over there, and I swear each had only, like, two free electrons in them. Also, I had no time for yarn shopping. (Damn you, paid employment!)

But I came back just in time for damson season. So...

...a couple kilos of damsons...

...some sugar...
(The Limey is experimenting and went for a batch of brown sugar- I disagreed with this deviation from tradition.)

...add (lots of) gin, give it a shake...
...then, the hardest part, waaaaiiiiiiting for aaaaaages.

The first year, we made 750ml, and it didn't last past Christmas. The next year, we doubled it, and just finished the last of it this weekend. This year, we doubled it again- predictions as to how long it'll last us?

Damson gin gets better the longer it sits, but we always end up cracking ours open on Thanksgiving, which is a great combination for this culturally mixed household.

1 comment:

Sinéad said...

Ooh Damson gin? Never had that before, I bet it's gorgeous. When I started reading your post I was thinking yum! Damson Jam! But this sounds much nicer. :)