Monday, February 04, 2008

More Christmas presents!

See, I haven't finished any knitting in a long time, so I'm just going to drag out the showing of my Christmas knits. Genius, innit?

(Sorry about the blurry pictures.)

Squirrel and Oak Mittens
Yarn: Patons Diploma Gold DK, just more than 1/2 skein of each colour
Needles: 3.5mm bamboo dpns
Pattern: Squirrel and Oak Mittens, from Hello Yarn

Notes: My closest yarn shop is the Singer Sewing Centre in town here. It doesn't sell very much yarn, but it has a really good selection of Paton's Diploma Gold, for some reason, in all the different weights and lots and lots of colours. So I buy basic sock yarn there now, and the yarn for these mittens.

These are sooo cute. I've wanted to knit them since I first saw them, but I don't wear mittens, so couldn't really justify it. Imagine how excited I was when my friend specifically requested mittens! I cast on practically before I finished reading her e-mail.

This is my second stranded colourwork project, and there are lots of long runs of one colour, so I had to twist the colours on the wrong side. My tension wasn't the best ever. Blocking helped a teeny bit.


A couple of small changes: I made the tips more rounded by doing two different slopes of decreases, and I left the last stitches live and did a three-needle bindoff instead of drawing it up into a point.

The only other thing I would change with this project is the cuffs. The corrugated ribbing isn't at all stretchy, and doesn't draw in the way ribbing normally does. If I were to do these again, I think I'd knit the cuffs with normal ribbing and make them longer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cute, Lien! I'd like to do some stranded-mitten-knitting, but like you, I don't wear 'em. May just have to have do it anyway for when a friend requests it!