I spent Christmas with The Limey's family up in the midlands. A few observations from my first Proper English Christmas.
1) These people drink a lot.
2) Despite dire predictions from The Limey, it is perfectly possible to have a vegetarian Christmas dinner. His mom made a special effort. Can you even tell the difference?
I think you can just barely see a some turkey peeking out in the bottom picture. There are some bacon-wrapped sausages buried in there, as well.
3) I understood about 30% of what his uncle said. I don't know if this is because he was drunk before he arrived, or because of his accent. I'm voting a combination of both.
4) Remember point #1? The dessert (pudding for the UKians) was not spared.
The thing was drenched in alcohol, set alight, and then served swimming in rum sauce, into which more rum was added at the table.
5) The Limey's grandmother told me stories about her husband and family going down to work in the mines. In mines! I guess that sort of thing doesn't just happen in the movies.