Friday, February 23, 2007

It feels nice to frog

Yesterday, I turned this
into this
It's some tweedy red (that first picture makes it look very pink) I bought last year on a trip to Dingle. I'd knit it up originally into a raglan cardigan, with ribbing at the sides so that it would hug the body, instead of waist shaping. I'd finished knitting the whole thing, including the hood, when I realized I just didn't like it as much as I'd thought I would. It lay at the bottom of my pile of knitted things for a year. I took it out again recently to look at it, still didn't like it, so frogged it. I'm thinking it would rather be something like one of these:
These would be, from left to right, Knitscene's Central Park Hoodie, Knitty's Mariah, and Rowan's Celtic. I decided the tweedy Irishness of the yarn deserved something more special than a plain stockinette/ribbing. On the other hand, I don't want to go overboard into tourist Oirish-Aran madness. So, a few judiciously placed cables, I think, is the way to go. I don't know if I'm going to actually follow the pattern for one of these, but will certainly take my inspiration from them.

No comments: