Tuesday, February 20, 2007

What I've been doing with my time

Since I'm now a lady of leisure, but with no money to spend, I can happily sit on the couch and fill my days with knitting.

Birthday Socks
Yarn: Lana Grossa Magico from This Is Knit (60 grams for both socks- so I have a just barely useless 40g left over)
Needles: 2 mm Inox dpns
Pattern: short row heel and toe shaping from Knitty's Universal Sock Pattern.

Notes: I got much tighter gauge than the yarn calls for: 36 sts/10 cm instead of 28 sts/10 cm, and the socks fit and feel great. I didn't use the number and measurement system from the pattern, just knit until they fit. There were many firsts for me here: my first socks, short rows, crochet provisional cast-on. By the way, the instructions on the pattern for the provisional cast-on made no sense, and after frogging twice, I finally went to another source for the instructions.


Because I'm a masochist, my two current projects are both black.

Ribbed socks for The Limey. He only wears black, so there was no choice, really. I'm doing this one cuff down, with a heel flap, just to see how it works, and to compare how I like doing it this way vs. short rows. So far, I'm liking the short row heel much, much better. The heel flap, picking up stitches, gusset decreasing, etc., etc., is just really fiddly. And I think the resulting heel is uglier than the neat, gently curved short-row heel. (By the way, picking up stitches on black knittting?! Ugh.)


A deep scooped-neck vest I designed. My drawing in the picture there shows waist shaping, but I decided not to do it. I kind of want to see how it looks and hangs with a straight waist. I'm knitting this in Cathay, which should drape nicely. I hope. I also haven't decided whether I'm going to put in the little cap sleeves. I've knitted it as a tank so far, so I could pick up stitches on the armholes and use short rows to shape the cap sleeves. Not sure yet whether I want to- without them, I'd be able to wear this as a vest with long-sleeved shirts. With little cap sleeves, would it look weird with long sleeves under it?

No comments: