Today I went down to This Is Knit and bought some yarn to use for the ribbing of the Silk Garden pullover. Lisa and I tried to find the best match to the Silk Garden (colour 84) but with so many colours, it was difficult. Eventually I chose a ball of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in a brickish red colour. I was hoping there would be a goldeny yellow orange, but no such luck.
It took only a bit of time to do the ribbing on the hem and sleeves, so then I had to face the inevitable:
I'd hand-sewn the reinforcement for the steek. Two lines of stitching on either side of the row of stitches I would cut through. I didn't trust just the one line of stitching, so I put in another one one stitch away. Then I went over the first line again, just to be sure.
I made myself a cup of tea (okay, I lie, The Limey made me a cup of tea) and I got down to work.
It was surprisingly...easy. I did some more.
I don't think I inhaled at all during the cutting, mind you. But it got done. The steek reinforcement held together. I was shocked.
I folded the steek stitches back and sewed the selvedge to the wrong side of the fabric. It still held. I picked up stitches along the edge and knit the ribbing for the scoop neck. It still held.
I think I only really took a proper, deep breath after I'd picked up the stitches for the ribbing. I could see that I wasn't going to have an unraveling mess on my hands.
It's washed and blocking now. Whew.