Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The moment of reckoning

Today I went down to This Is Knit and bought some yarn to use for the ribbing of the Silk Garden pullover. Lisa and I tried to find the best match to the Silk Garden (colour 84) but with so many colours, it was difficult. Eventually I chose a ball of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in a brickish red colour. I was hoping there would be a goldeny yellow orange, but no such luck.

It took only a bit of time to do the ribbing on the hem and sleeves, so then I had to face the inevitable:


I'd hand-sewn the reinforcement for the steek. Two lines of stitching on either side of the row of stitches I would cut through. I didn't trust just the one line of stitching, so I put in another one one stitch away. Then I went over the first line again, just to be sure.

I made myself a cup of tea (okay, I lie, The Limey made me a cup of tea) and I got down to work.

It was surprisingly...easy. I did some more.
I don't think I inhaled at all during the cutting, mind you. But it got done. The steek reinforcement held together. I was shocked.


I folded the steek stitches back and sewed the selvedge to the wrong side of the fabric. It still held. I picked up stitches along the edge and knit the ribbing for the scoop neck. It still held.

I think I only really took a proper, deep breath after I'd picked up the stitches for the ribbing. I could see that I wasn't going to have an unraveling mess on my hands.

It's washed and blocking now. Whew.

5 comments:

Lien said...

I've just been catching up with your blog. That was brave!! You need a medal for taking scissors to the knitting!!

Hope the job hunting front works out. But in the meantime, can't wait for the pattern - I'll try to make one when you have it up!

a simple yarn said...

Congratulations and well done, Lien! Very brave of you and quite nice of TL to support you in your hour of need....

Lindy said...

I held my breath while reading this! Well done! Don't know if I am brave enough to try it.

SquirrellyWrath said...

I saw this on craftster...I'm really impressed! I don't think I'd have the guts to steek, but your sweater looks gorgeous, I really like the colours as well.

Oh and good luck with the job hunting :)

Mozilla said...

wow that came out wonderfully!!! I love the color and how you used one pattern to make your own version. Good Job!