Saturday, September 29, 2007

Just in time

I'm totally over-posting, but I figure once I start working, blogging may take a hit.

Anyway, autumn's definitely here. I was waiting for the bus a couple of nights ago, and really really wished I had gloves or something, because it was freezing. So these are just in time.


Endpaper Mitts
Yarn: Jaeger Baby Merino 4-ply, half a ball of each colour, for both mitts
Needles: 2.0 mm and 2.5 mm dpns
Pattern: Eunny Jang's Endpaper Mitts

Notes: The first stranded colourwork project for me. To make it easier on myself, I could probably have chosen colours that were a better contrast. But, hey, for a first, it's alright. My gauge was tighter than called for, but that's okay; it means the mitts are nice and snuggly.


It was also the first time I bothered with a tubular bind-off. I didn't do the fancy cast on called for in the pattern.


I quite like the tubular bind off. It produces a really nice, non-bulky edge. It's fiddlier, definitely, but for some reason, I "got" it really quickly. Which is weird, because every time I kitchener, I still have to look up the instructions.

I don't get the love of faux seams Eunny has. She put in two for the mitt, but I only put in the one on the inside. And my tension, wonky enough for the rest of the mitt, got really weird around the seam. I'm glad I didn't put in the other one.


All in all, a good project. But they're really long! I know I'm short, anyway, but these go nearly up to my elbows. There's plenty of both colours left. I could totally do another pair. If I knit these again, I'd make them shorter, maybe only two repeats of the arm part instead of three. I'd omit both seams and just have the pattern continue right across (there'd be a jog, but maybe there's a workaround for that)


(Look! One pinkie's way shorter than the other! I swear this isn't true normally. Huh. Magic finger shortening mitts.)

4 comments:

chemgrrl said...

They look great! Very pretty.

diane said...

they look marvelous!!!

Worsted Knitt said...

Oh my gosh, they came out wonderful! Very good job - and great to see you on MagKnits, too!! You deserve it, your designs are lovely.

Lien said...

Looks fantastic!! I love how you swapped the colours around for each one.

I think it was a great first colourwork project.
There was an article ages ago (on Knitty - I think) about colour dominance (or something like that). I'll have to find it for you. A friend of mine charts it in Excel to see how the colours would turn out.