Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Summer's here!

Pintuck t-shirt
Yarn: Rowan Bamboo Soft, 6 balls, from Soton John Lewis
Needles: 3.0mm circular Addis
Pattern: my own! Available here, and on Ravelry if you have access

Notes: An exercise to update and feminize the good old t-shirt. Knit in the round, with the cap sleeves picked up around the armscye and knit down using short rows, so no seaming on this one.

The pintuck bib incorporates a dressmaking detail that I love. This detail is picked up in the twisted rib at the hems.

Shaping is done by paired increases and decreases knit as front and back darts. The hem is slightly rounded, again using short rows.

As I've said before, I dig the bamboo yarn. When I was swatching for this one, I tried lots of different yarns, but I just love the softness and drape of bamboo so much I went for it again. The bamboo does stretch slightly from the weight of the finished object, so it ended up a little longer than I'd envisioned. I took this into account when I swatched, so it's not too bad, even after I wore it all day for the picture shoot. I do intend to put in two stabilizing crochet "seams" later, though.


If this weather keeps up, I'll be wearing this lots this summer.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just spotted this on Ravelry and I love it! It's the perfect balance of simple lines and feminine detailing.

Lori said...

Just came over from Ravelry too - I love this sweater-tee! Your blog is pretty nifty too, if I do say so... I'll be checking in again!

soknitpicky said...

Came over from Ravelry too. Thank you for such a beautiful design. I had been thinking about knitting Jasmine from the new Hargreaves book, but I like this better! :-)

Anonymous said...

So, what was Knitty thinking when they passed this up? Very cute, Lien! Hope you get lots of takers from Ravelry....

Anonymous said...

Crikey! It's in 57 queues already on Ravelry! Good for you, Lien....

Unknown said...

I saw your post on Craftster, and I just wanted to tell you how gorgeous this is! I almost never knit a) short-sleeved tops or b) with small needles, but this is so lovely that I might have to turn over a new leaf. Thanks so much for sharing your pattern with us.

Farrah said...

I also came over from Craftster and just wanted to join the chorus of compliments. This little sweater is just great- I love everything about the way it looks, and the fact that it's seamless is just icing on the cake. Thanks so much for sharing your pattern.

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous Lien, must definately make this! Thanks for sharing!Must go check it out on ravelry now...

RJ said...

Found your T on crafster.org. Thank you so much for the pattern. You did a beautiful job on designing this one!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this pattern. I can't wait to try it!!

Anonymous said...

Can't find out what the terms w+t means - please explain.

Lien said...

Hi.
"w+t" means "wrap and turn", a method for working short rows.

Please e-mail me if you have any other questions- I can respond to it more quickly!