Thursday, April 10, 2008

Socks for me!

Pomatomus socks
Yarn: Regia Stretch Colour, two skeins with plenty left over
Needles: 2.0mm dpns
Pattern: the ever-popular Pomatomus, by Cookie A. for Knitty

Notes: Well, what can I say? About a gazillion people have knit these, and I understand why- they are gorgeous socks.

I knit the leg shorter, with only two pattern repeats instead of three.

There are a few little issues I have with these socks:

-This pattern called for starting a needle with a YO. For me, that means a loose stitch there, so the YO holes are bigger there than when made mid-needle. You can see this on the left sock in the picture, I think.

-I didn't swatch or nuthin', just started knitting with my 2.0mm dpns, which is what I use for all socks. This made for a sock that is a teensy bit tight. However, the lace rib pattern is very stretchy, and the yarn is very stretchy, so it fits fine.

-I should have knit the foot just a wee bit longer, but I got impatient. As you can see, the heel flap on these sort of get tugged down under my ankle. But that's okay, I can live with it.


With all that said, I'm very happy with these socks, and will wear them lots, for sure. However, I got two things out of this project that make me even happier. 1)This is great sock yarn. Stretchy, thin, easy to work with, makes lovely even stitches. I would totally use this yarn again. 2) I am totally, but totally, head over heels in love with this twisted rib lace pattern. The over-lapping shell motif is what pleases me most, I think. Plus, I just love twisted stitches. I think it looks better un-stretched out. I want to use it for everything, and in fact, already have an idea for a project with this stitch pattern. I don't know if it's from a stitch dictionary somewhere, or if Cookie A. made it up (genius, if she did), or what.

5 comments:

chemgrrl said...

Purdy!

A&AC project said...

Lien, I meant to leave say thank you before now for the lovely comment you left on my blog. I should have gotten back to you sooner.
If it wasn't a rhetorical question I get all my buttons from Ebay U.K.
I'll email you with the sellers names if you wish. Just don't bid against me, mmk? ;)
I totally agree about the pomatomus pattern.I've said it before but I really think it's the most beautiful sock pattern I've ever seen. Have you seen the spirogyra gloves in Knitty? same stitch used.
Your socks are lovely, very pretty indeed.

A&AC project said...

Oh and I just friended you on Ravelry
;)

jacqueline said...

crazy cool socks!!

Caitriona said...

They're gorgeous! Were they tricky to knit? Do you think they'd be too difficult for someone relatively new to knitting?